Purpose of DIS Program
The purpose of Doctor of Intercultural Studies (DIS) is to equip professional missionaries for further research and future teaching opportunities.
The DIS program seeks to develop students with foundational knowledge and extensive experience of cross-cultural ministry by
- advancing their knowledge of missiology as an interdisciplinary study combining theological, historical, and contextual studies.
- engaging them in critical and constructive interaction with existing scholarship in an area of missiology through original research.
- fostering an understanding of the vocation of theological scholarship in its dimensions learning, teaching, and research.
Students will have demonstrated
- ability to integrate missiological disciplines related to the subject areas of their research.
- competence in applying missiological research methods to their ministry contexts.
- sensitivity to cultural and ethnic diversity as they engage in missiological research.
- commitment to spiritual formation for their own growth and for the growth of others.
Program Admission Requirements
- Possession of a graduate Master’s degree in Theology, or Bible or Ministry from a BPPE approved or accredited institution or an international institution whose degrees are equivalent to a Master’s degree earned at a BPPE approved or accredited institution. Applicants must submit official copies of all graduate education in order to have their application deemed as complete.
- All graduate work must have been completed with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Submission of a personal application form with an application fee of $50.
- Submission of an essay that details the applicant’s Christian faith, experience and their goals for pursuing ministry training.
- Submission of three letters of reference, one from a former professor and one from a pastor or minister.
- Evaluation of personal interview with a team of faculty members
- Two recent photographs (passport style)
Hours of Instruction
- The instructions of Doctor of intercultural studies program are given in intensive forms. All students must take the intensive instructions every semester. Total hours to complete Doctor of intercultural studies program: 62 credit hours (3 years, 6 semesters). The total hours of instruction are 48 hours per course. Students can take 1-4 courses per semester. The regular course weights 3 credits. Full-time student must take 9 credits per semester. Therefore the full-time student must take three regular courses (9 credits) every semester.
- The Dissertation course (8 credits) is required after completing the regular courses. Student may be considered full time student even though the dissertation course is only 8 units.
- Total hours of instruction per course: 48 hours (complete a “3 credit-course” in 5 to 16 weeks)
- The total instruction hours per semester: 9 credit hours
- 1 week intensive course is also provided (3 credit-course, 5 days)
- 5~7 week course meet once a week
Method of Instruction
Classes incorporate lectures, instructional work in class, demonstrations, one-on-one tutorials, library research, and comprehensive examinations on the Bible. Except for internships and field trips, all instruction is conducted in a classroom setting.
- Completion of 62 semester units with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in all course work.
- Completion of all units within 7-year time span from date of entry.
- Completion of all financial requirements.
- File an application for intent to graduate with the school office 6 weeks prior to graduation to certify that all graduation requirements have been met.
- Completion of a final dissertation or research project and submission of written document to the office of the Academic Dean prior to graduation.
- Two recent photographs (passport style)
The final stage of the Doctor of Intercultural studies program consists of the preparation of a dissertation. The subject matter of the dissertation must be examined and approved by the Doctor of Intercultural studies committee. The dissertation project is considered an applied research and the topic may be the expansion of one of the course projects.
- The student must establish a clear relationship of the chosen subject with preaching, missions.
- The student must prepare a dissertation proposal in consultation with the advisor.
- The dissertation proposal must include: the proposed title, a statement of the importance of the proposed research, a provisional outline and overall plan of the project, a statement of research methodology, and a preliminary bibliography.
- The final dissertation should be 150-200 pages in length.
- Doctor of Intercultural Studies Program Graduation Requirements: 62 Units
- Required Courses: ……………………………………………………………………. 54 Semester Units
MN752_Lifelong Leadership Development
MN759_Pastoral Ministry and Leadership
MS701_Biblical Principles of Missions
MS702_Biblical Strategies of Mission
MS703_Pauline Theology of Mission
MS711_Contemporary Theology of Missions
MS715_Folk Religion and Missions I
MS717_Asian Religions and Mission Strategy
MS733_ A Study of Missiology in Acts
MS762_Cross-Cultural Missions & Anthropology
MS775_Mission Field and Evangelism
MS777_Missionary’s Cooperative Mission
MS781_Mission Project II
MS787_Relationship-Centric Missions and the Role of Communication
- Dissertation Requirements: ……………………………………………………. 8 Semester Units
DI880_Dissertation (8)…………………………………………………………. 8 Units
- Doctor of Intercultural Studies Curriculum (Three-Year Plan): 62 Units
|Fall Semester||Spring Semester|
|Co. No.||Courses||Units||Co. No.||Courses||Units|
|First Year||First Year|
|MS717||Asian Religions and Mission Strategy아시아 선교와 선교전략||3||MN759||Pastoral Ministry and Leadership목회와 리더쉽||3|
|MN752||Lifelong Leadership Development리더쉽 평생개발론||3||MS702||Biblical Strategies of Mission성경적 선교전략||3|
|TH706||Biblical Theology성경신학||3||MS762||Cross-Cultural Missions &Anthropology다문화 선교와 인류학||3|
|MS701||Biblical Principles of Missions성경적 선교원리||3||MS733||A Study of Missiology in Acts사도행전에 나타난 선교||3|
|Second Year||Second Year|
|MS777||Missionary’s Cooperative Ministry협력선교||3||MS719||Inner Healing내적치유||3|
|MS787||Relationship-Centric Missions and the Role of Communication관계중심 선교와 커뮤니케이션의 역할||3||MS715||Folk Religion and Mission I이방종교와 선교||3|
|MS703||Pauline Theology of Mission바울선교신학||3||MS765||Intercultural Communication다문화 커뮤니케이션||3|
|Third Year||Third Year|
|MS711||Contemporary Theology of Missions현대 선교신학||3||DI880||Dissertation||8|
|MS775||Mission Field & Evangelism선교현장과 복음전도||3|
|MS781||Mission Project II선교전략 II||3|